Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Borough Market in London, United Kingdom

London is a fascinating city. There is so much to do and see and even more to eat. On Friday, I went to the Borough Market, one of the largest food markets in the world. The market was first documented in writing in the year 1276,  however it claims to be around since the Romans were in Britain. It has been at its current site in Southwark, near the London bridge for over 250 years. They have local foods as well as products from neighboring countries, such as Spain, Greece, France and Italy.
The Jubilee Market section where many locally made products are sold. The ginger granola, gluten, and sugar free was brilliant.
They sold yellow, purple and orange carrots with the leaves on showing how fresh they were.
Pork stew baked into a flaky pie shell.
Kinda reminds you of Lord of the Flies, doesn't it?

Fresh pomegranates, pears de jules, and fiesta apples- all locally grown and organic.
Treats from a patisserie that if I stayed any longer, I would have consumed the whole pile of brownies.

These tomatoes were screaming at me to plate them with fresh mozzarella and basil. Maybe I can find them at another stall.
They say they're "Quality Squid" maybe they couldn't think of a better name.

The unusual Romanesco broccoli which taste something between that of broccoli and cauliflower.

One of the stands was passing out samples of curry left and right.
Fresh Porcini Mushrooms
They had many fresh flowers as well.

Prosciutto AND Buffalo Mozzarella. Amen.
After looking at everything, I decided on  a huge slice of Boro omelet for 3 only quid. The omelet was filled with red peppers, onions, parsley, basil, and artichokes and it was quite tasty too.

All this to say, I had a great time looking around the Borough Market. Unfortunately, I couldn't buy any ingredients because I don't have a kitchen yet. I hope there is a market like this in Canterbury. If you are ever in London, come by on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday to see, taste, and hear all the hustle and bustle from the market. You won't be sorry, I promise.

5 comments:

  1. Very cool - I love to see other farmer's markets in other parts of the world. The mushrooms reminded me of a recent trip to the Oregon coast where you can forage for those and other wild mushrooms. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fresh flowers look so beautiful! Hope to visit this place one day! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great place to wander. And I think you made a fine choice in that beautiful veggie omelet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that pig head totally reminded me of lord of the flies!

    beautiful photos! i spent a summer in oxford and I am EXTREMELY JEALOUS of you right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Owww...cant wait to move back to London, "Borough" is one of my favorite places :-)

    ReplyDelete