Monday, February 8, 2010

Pancakes...also known as Flap Jacks...also known as Hot Cakes

As the old adage goes, "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day." I love breakfast foods in all shapes and sizes. I grew up on fresh pancakes. On most Saturday mornings, before new episodes of Recess or Pokemon would come on, my dad would make fresh pancakes from scratch. They were fluffy, warm and the best way to start a day of relaxing. This one is not my recipe. My dad got it from a 1988 issue of Consumer reports. It's the best one I've tasted. They are super easy to make and beat any package hands down in my book.

The Ingredients
2 cups AP flour
2 Tablespoons baking power
.25 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons oil
2 cups milk
pinch of salt

The
Method
In a large bowl, sift together the flour and the baking power.
In another bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, oil, milk and salt. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until combined. Some lumps are ok. Over mixing will develop gluten which will yield flat chewy pancakes.
Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Pour a little oil in the pan; this makes for crispy edges which I really like in my pancakes. Next, pour about a third of a cup of batter into the pan.
Wait a couple of minutes until bubbles form on the surface.

Flip when the edges are browned and cook for another minute or so.












Enjoy your fresh pancakes while their hot; have some hot syrup and butter ready.

3 comments:

  1. these look delish.
    what is AP flour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, i knew that.
    i was just asking for the sake of your less-experienced readers, of course.

    ReplyDelete