Monday, August 9, 2010

Red Velvet Truffles


Let me introduce to you my friend, Chelsea.
First, she is one of my best friends and I am so blessed to have her in my life. She is one of the most godly people I know; she strives to put Christ first in all she does. Second, she LOVES chocolate. The most important things to her in life are "God, then chocolate, then friends and family"; her words not mine. I would say that she is on par with my roommate, Kevin, who also share this passion for the stuff. One of my friends, Anna, told me about red velvet truffles and so we decided to make them. They are really easy to make and satisfied her craving for chocolate...well at least for the next hour.
The Ingredients
1 red velvet cake
8 oz. block of cream cheese
1/4 cup butter (half a stick)
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1lb semisweet chocolate
4 tablespoons milk
The Method
I know, I know. I hate processed food, too. I confess that I used a boxed cake mix. Honestly, I didn't want to make a red velvet from scratch only to smash the whole thing up. It saved a lot of time by using the box but feel free to make your own.
Let the cake cool until room temperature. With a fork, crumb the cake into, well, crumbs.
Next, make the cream cheese frosting which will act as the binder for the cake crumbs. Place the butter and cream cheese in another bowl. Use a mixer to cream the ingredients together. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix on low speed, otherwise your whole kitchen will have a layer of sweet snow all over it.
Mix the frosting in with the cake crumbs until it forms a dough.
Form golf ball sized balls and place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Chill them in the freezer for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, pour the chocolate and milk together in a bowl and melt it in a double boiler. The milk will prevent the chocolate from seizing up and getting grainy. Pull the red velvet truffles out of the freezer and dip them in the chocolate.
Let them sit in the fridge for about 10 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden.
Make sure you have a tall glass of milk on hand when you are ready to consume them.
This will make around 2.5 dozen red velvet truffles.

2 comments:

  1. Spencer,

    These RV Truffles look absolutely stunning and scrumptious, and would make a great Holiday treat. Can I put in an order for a couple dozen of the above and pick them up around Christmas time?!?

    Uncle D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet this was utterly delicious !

    ReplyDelete