Friday, August 13, 2010

French Onion Soup

Today I went to my best friend Nick's house.
We share the same passion for food; I usually just do more of the cooking but it doesn't bother me. I have known Nick since we were 12 and we became instantly attached at the hip. Nick is one of the most creative people that I know. Currently, he is studying film at Biola University which I visit so frequently that it's basically my second college...if that term exists. Speaking of college, one of his favorite dishes is French Onion Soup. The soup has few ingredients but has such a deep, rich flavor. This is not your quick and easy soup; it does take some time to caramelize the onions but your patience will be rewarded. I promise.
The Ingredients
8-9 large onions (combination of sweet, yellow and/or white)
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup white wine
4 cups beef broth
3 cups water
3 springs thyme
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
The Method
I know exactly what you're thinking. "Golly Gee, that's a lot of onions!" You're right, there are a ton of onions. But I've found the more onions the more complex and the more rich the soup tastes.
The first step is to prep and slice all the onions. Start with a heavy chef's knife and slice off the top and bottom of the onion. Then slice the onion in half longitudinally. Peel the onion skin off and set the cut side down on the cutting board. Do this to all the onions. Prepare yourself to cry; it's equal to the amount of tears shed when Simba cries out to murdered Mufasa. Thinly slice the onions, they should be almost translucent.
I've heard all kinds of ways to stop the crying from onions from holding bread in your mouth to cutting by candlelight. Most have not really worked for me to be honest. The one solution I have found is that if you cut the onions underneath the hood from your stove it takes all the onions fumes up, up, and away from your eyes.
Melt the butter in a large pot on medium heat.
When the butter is melted, throw the onions in with a good sprinkling of salt. If there are too many onions for one pot, you can use two. Caramelize the onions until they are a dark brown. This will take about an hour and twenty minutes. They will greatly reduce in size and the flavors will intensify. You do not have to be constantly stirring but do keep a close eye on them and stir occasionally, especially when they start to turn brown. Brown is very close to black which means a charred onion soup.
Add the flour to the onions and cook for a few minutes. This will thicken the soup. Next add the white wine, broth, water, bay leaf and thyme.
Simmer the soup for about 20 minutes and serve.
Traditionally, this soup is served in crocks with a toasted Gruyere crouton. This time I took slices of bread and toasted them with Romano cheese. Nick and I were happy.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully executed -- this looks delicious!

    "Speaking of college, one of his favorite dishes is French Onion Soup" made me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,

    Brings back the memories of (not so) french onion soup in school...only your recipie looks DELICIOUS !!!!! must try this one, i must be patient with the karamalised onions too !!!


    ruairi

    ReplyDelete