Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Fish & Chips from Canterbury, United Kingdom

Let's play a game. I say a country, you say the first dish that comes to mind. Ready?

Japan.

Sushi. (Too bad sushi or sashimi isn't here in Canterbury)

Spain.

Tapas. (Ok, it's a category, but still)

UK.

Fish and Chips.

Fish and chips is the first English food that comes to mind for me. To be honest with you, I was not looking forward to the English food scene before coming. However, I am happy to say that I am pleasantly surprised at the variety of fresh produce, meats, cheeses, breads, and other products that are available here. I like the stores here better than I like the store back home. I wish I could bring the local grocery store, Sainbury's, home with me so that I can inexpensive, fresh products for the rest of my life.  

Anyways, I knew I had to get fish and chips sooner than later, so I asked one of my English mates where the best place was in town. He told me to go to a shop right off of High Street, the main street, called City Fish Bar. 


We found it and I placed my order. When the cashier handed me the artery-clogging goodness, I was in shock at how large the piece of cod was.


After adding a sprinkle of salt and a splash of malt vinegar, I ate my first bite. It was perfectly battered, crunchy, and the cod was very moist in the middle. As for the chips, they were thick cut, crispy on the outside, fluffy potato on the inside. Delicious.

As soon as I walk a few more miles, I'll be ready to try other kinds of battered and fried foods like hot dogs.
Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment